How to Make Chinese Mustard at Home January 21 2015
Many of our mustards are incredibly complex flavor blends of vinegar, mustard powder, and random spices. But, mustard is quite simple to make - especially Chinese mustard.
Chinese mustard is two ingredients.
Mustard powder & water.
And today I'm going to teach you how to make it!
How to Make Chinese Mustard
- 1 tablespoon Oriental/Chinese mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- In a small dish, mix 1 part Chinese mustard powder with 1 part cold water.
- Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes
- Enjoy on egg rolls!
Notes on this recipe:
- You can find Oriental mustard powder at many natural food markets. Or you can buy it online. One of my favorite spice places is Penzey's Spices.
- Why cold water? Simply put - it makes it hotter! If you're looking to mellow out the heat, use vinegar.
- Keep your mustard in the fridge. It'll get stronger the longer it sits in the fridge. Then, start to downgrade in spiciness.